The title for this one could have been "Lambs! And Convulsions! And Vultures. Oh my!"
True, after weeks of nothing....we have lambs.
Today I went out to the barn because Big Bea the pig was twitching so violently (as seen on the barn camera) that she couldn't sleep. No piglets, but...(distracted moment) what have we over HERE?!!!
April was busy cleaning a tiny newborn lamb, and was not done yet.
As I hurried back to the house for my phone (to take photos with, WHAT has this society come to?!), I saw that Taffy was growling and barking at.... THREE VULTURES in the top of the willow tree.
It was a crazy coincidence. A lamb, a pig with twitching convulsions (sort of), and vultures.
It is almost 10:00 on a Sunday night, now. April had twin ram lambs (in the photos).
Big Bea is still not resting comfortably, and is quick to roll over onto her enormous side and expose her enormous belly (complete with nearly embarrassing endowments filling with milk) But no piglets just yet.
And the vultures are who-knows-where, but at least they are not hanging around in our tree.
I have a feeling that baby season is back in business. At least 2 of the other 5 ewes are showing udder development (yes, our sheep get a grape-fruit sized udder that shows when they lie down), so there are more lambs soon, I hope. Two more goats are also developing udders and looking rounder.
Did I mention that at least one of our female barn cats was visited by the resident wild male? More kitties on the way, it would seem.
But now, off to bed. I'm hoping I can get a full night's rest, but unless Bea is sleeping soundly with no more twitchy movements, I will not sleep soundly, either.
Welcome, welcome, baby lambs! We've been expecting you! :)
Laura



No comments:
Post a Comment