American Chinchilla rabbit babies. Looks like 8, all snuggled in their nest of fur.
This will be our last litter. I love the breed, and think they are beautiful, but so many cages with bowls of frozen water in each one (to re-fill two or three times each day) finally made up my mind to move out of rabbit breeding. After hauling warm water out to all the other thirsty critters, this became a chore that I dreaded.
This will be our last litter. I love the breed, and think they are beautiful, but so many cages with bowls of frozen water in each one (to re-fill two or three times each day) finally made up my mind to move out of rabbit breeding. After hauling warm water out to all the other thirsty critters, this became a chore that I dreaded.
All of the breeding adults have been spoken for, all in good placements (or soon to be) with people who love the breed as much as I do!
(If a pair doesn't actually leave, I would keep them as pets, but...it's time to concentrate on the larger animals.)
I'm not emotionally attached to these rabbits, so this is easier than saying goodbye to Bessie or to a favorite sow or ewe.
The space where the cages hang will be used for sheep and/or goats.
Interestingly, the sale of just one lamb or goat kid equals about all of the rabbit sales from the past year. In terms of what makes best use of the space, sheep/goats or even pigs makes more sense. Financially, the rabbit venture was a loss. Not even a break-even.
We'll clear out the cages, clear out the mounds UNDER the cages (great for the garden!!!), and put down fresh straw. Voila! Ready for something different.
Fine-tuning the livestock operation is a good thing. This change will be just fine.
Laura

No comments:
Post a Comment