Friday, May 27, 2016

News of the day

I started the day with the sight of a dead piglet.  He was sick last night, we gave him penicillin, but he just didn't make it.  
The other four piglets in the litter were/are as spunky as ever, and now mama Cameo is quite angry when I come near, because of the squealing of that one piglet last night as I gave him his injection, and now today the other four got their treatment.  Hoping they all pull though and show no symptoms. 
And for the past 3 weeks, the vet and I have been watching one of my lambs that has "polio" symptoms.  I cancelled the sale, her new owner came for the twin but not for her, and I've been giving her vitamin B injections whenever the weird high-legged walk occurs, causing her to collapse on the ground.  Five minutes later, she'll be fine.  And she is bright-eyed, curious, and until her twin left yesterday, they were growing equally well.  Just this weird thing, and she will be here for a while yet because of it.

But then today....  Life!  
Taffy gave birth to five little ones in quick succession.  I thought she was done.  Two more surprises.  And then two more.  
There are five boys, and four girls.  All seem to be doing well, 6 hours after birth.  Taffy is an attentive mom, listening for the other dogs walking by the bedroom door, perking up to hear who is coming in to peek at her babies, watching us as we take photos and lift the little ones to get a better look.
And she is exhausted.

There's no puppy that definitely points to Waldo as his or her daddy.  All of them could easily be Smoke's babies.  But we'll do the DNA testing to be sure.  
All of them could stay here forever.  (But in 10 weeks, we might think differently.  Or not!)
Welcome, little pups!  
 
Laura


No comments:

Post a Comment