The story of this little cutie. She is a babydoll Southdown twin ewe lamb. Her sister is black. Their daddy was our beautiful black ram Brock... Both seem to smile back at you.
Their growth rate is equal. Their eyes are bright and curious. Their energy level is about the same...
Their growth rate is equal. Their eyes are bright and curious. Their energy level is about the same...
The sister left to live at her new home. This little one can't go yet.
She has symptoms of vitamin B deficiency, and every time we think she's pulled through, her symptoms crop up again. Out of the whole flock of goats and sheep, she is the only one.
So far, it has required about 3 weeks of vitamin B injections, vet visits and consultations, "polio" symptoms (when she is stressed, her legs seem to buckle under her, or she does a high-stepping walk, or her back legs kick her into a bounce--straight into the air). The injection used to work immediately. Now it takes a while and she collapses in a heap until the B gets in her system.
And she hates the sight of me and trembles when I come in with her, because I'm the one who catches her up to give her a shot in the rump. It's become rather heartbreaking.
The vet still holds out hope that she will pull through if I can continue to treat her. With puppies, and a family reunion coming up, and a whole barn full of other animals to care for, my energy for this on-going treatment is wearing thin.
Enter my neighbor, Katie, who knows much, much more than I do about vitamin deficiencies and restoring good bacteria, who sees a promising future for this little ewe and whose eyes lit up at the idea of helping this lamb come back to full health.
Tomorrow, "Faith" will join two lambs for a few weeks at Katie's place. I will continue to give the injections as needed. Katie will put Faith on pasture with two similar age lambs.
We'll see if a change in environment and less stress will make a difference!
The owner of Faith's twin is hoping that she will be able to bring Faith to live at her farm, once we are completely through this strange phenomenon.
I guess I can say that I'm now praying for the recovery of....a lamb named "Faith".
Laura

No comments:
Post a Comment