Sunday, November 1, 2015

A circus waiting to happen

Who was that, with the crazy idea that piglets with their (non-lactating) mother could be lured away from her for feed?!!! 
With mama Rose feeling much better, she is quite aware and unhappy when her piglets are away, and as she calls for them, they go rushing towards her voice in a state of distress....
Plus, they didn't take to a bottle.  And they don't have a clue about drinking out of a pan.

A short-term solution:  pour the milk in a very shallow container, and let mama teach them how to drink from a pan.
The piglets are getting the idea, while mama is still making the smallest amount of milk for them.  But I can tell from watching them nurse that they are getting less and less.

I think....I will need to separate Rose and put her back outside.  For today (Sunday) I will work with what I can do.  I think a cattle panel in the corner that only the babies can fit through to the pan of milk.  
But tomorrow, if the vet confirms that no milk will be coming back, it might be better to just move her outside with the other hogs so that I can work with the little ones.  :(

 
Laura

No comments:

Post a Comment