Monday, July 9, 2018

Another "Canine Good Citizen" prospect

So, the beautiful Miss Star... We've been in Canine Good Citizen class for the past 4 or 5 weeks. She is still not fond of the car ride, and prefers not to be on a leash. She is nervous and drooling (nerves), with a certain breed puppy in the class that is being handled by a young boy. 
Star performs admirably but without spunk or enthusiasm. She is easily shut down when this other puppy is boisterous, or when there are new things in the room, or when the big noisy fan is somewhere that it isn't supposed to be...  Rules, and English Shepherds.
So today... Remy was on the back step pining away for Taffy. Taffy was tired and snappy and wanting the extra attention from the resident male to stop. 
Star engaged me in some crazy puppy play as she threw herself against the hay bale I was feeding to the pigs, then dashed around in a frenzy, then threw herself at my feet before crashing into the hay bale again.... 
And then I had an "Aha!" moment. I called her to me. She ran to me with her usual joy and sat without being told, looking back at me with her sparkling eyes, ready for more. 
I told her "down" and she plunked down with a big smile and stayed while I walked away from her. With the next "Come!", she joyfully dashed back to me and wiggled with glee. 
For Star, in class, being in the "down" position and then being left behind is when that little puppy broke free from his young owner and leaped on Star. No wonder that command makes her nervous. But just her and I...in the pasture while the other dogs were distracted. Perfection. 
I knew she could do it. And leash-free, a bonus! 
Now to just work on tolerating the distractions at class. ❤️❤️❤️❤️
 


No comments:

Post a Comment