Remy is in the vet ER for the night.
No worries, he should be fine, but it's been quite the day.
Picture is of him, resting like usual, when I'm busy working on something. He has just a sweet, quiet presence.
He tore his shoulder this morning, playing with Taffy the same way that they always do. Which means....crashing through the bushes, body slamming each other at full speed, flashes of teeth and a false show of ferocity. They love eachother, and take great delight in running full-out and practicing their pretty amazing maneuvers.
I took him to our vet's office as soon as I knew he was hurt, and a substitute vet worked on him right away. Remy got internal and external stitches, with some loose-ness included so that the wound could drain. Seems like all of his fur covered up how bad it really was. His stitches cover a tear that was 4 or 5 inches long.
We put him in a crate, inside the house, as instructed. He was calm. By evening, after dinner, the other dogs and pups were put away for the night and I took Remy out on his leash. He had somehow managed to open the wound in the center again, and it was looking bad.
Thinking all he needed was a fitting for a cone and a new dressing, I took him to the emergency after-hours vet in a different suburb... They confirmed that it looked bad, and it wasn't just me imagining the worst.
He will be getting the surgery for a second time, probably under anesthesia right now. With the way the raw edges were exposed, we couldn't leave it until morning when our vet's office opens again.
He tore his shoulder this morning, playing with Taffy the same way that they always do. Which means....crashing through the bushes, body slamming each other at full speed, flashes of teeth and a false show of ferocity. They love eachother, and take great delight in running full-out and practicing their pretty amazing maneuvers.
I took him to our vet's office as soon as I knew he was hurt, and a substitute vet worked on him right away. Remy got internal and external stitches, with some loose-ness included so that the wound could drain. Seems like all of his fur covered up how bad it really was. His stitches cover a tear that was 4 or 5 inches long.
We put him in a crate, inside the house, as instructed. He was calm. By evening, after dinner, the other dogs and pups were put away for the night and I took Remy out on his leash. He had somehow managed to open the wound in the center again, and it was looking bad.
Thinking all he needed was a fitting for a cone and a new dressing, I took him to the emergency after-hours vet in a different suburb... They confirmed that it looked bad, and it wasn't just me imagining the worst.
He will be getting the surgery for a second time, probably under anesthesia right now. With the way the raw edges were exposed, we couldn't leave it until morning when our vet's office opens again.
The vet just called. It is almost midnight, and our sweet little Remy is out of surgery and just a little groggy. He had managed to dislodge all of the internal stitches as well as remove at least the center stitch on the outside. They were glad that I had agreed to let them work on him, and not wait until morning when our own vet's office would have been open. It will be a hefty bill. Sigh.
I knew I loved this dog, but didn't realize how much. He should be fine... But it is no good telling myself that I should get some rest tonight...he has worked his way into my heart. Things will feel right when he is home tomorrow.
I knew I loved this dog, but didn't realize how much. He should be fine... But it is no good telling myself that I should get some rest tonight...he has worked his way into my heart. Things will feel right when he is home tomorrow.
Laura

No comments:
Post a Comment