Tuesday, April 11, 2017

Dazzling babies!

Photos:  Dazzle's kids, Dazzle herself when she was still hugely and uncomfortably pregnant, and proud (but quite unaware) papa Turbinado.

Dazzle the fainting goat had her kids.  She was bred to Turbinado at my friend Vikki's place, but both were already promised to me.  Vikki wanted me to have them, I wanted to have them, we just hadn't gotten them here before winter set in and the buck-in-rut stench was too strong for either of us to haul him in our vehicles (which also double as family transport).  
I picked them both up in January or February, carefully, so as not to disturb any budding pregnancy on Dazzle's part.
April is the month that Vikki said was the due date window, and...here we are!  

I finally felt (or didn't feel) what the loss of ligaments by the tail head means.  It's a sign that every single "What to watch for when your goat is close to delivery" tutorial says to check.  I have been unsuccessful at knowing what is missing until this afternoon.  It's hard to describe, but what I was "supposed" to feel for was two pencil-thin ligaments, one on on each side of the tail, which would loosen to the point that you can't feel them right before delivery.  
Udder full to bursting?  Check.
Restlessness?  Check.
Hmm...let's check the ligaments.  Surprise, there were so obviously none to be felt that I checked again.  
Loss of ligaments?  CHECK!

The barn cam was helpful again.  I had the sound on.  The cry of a doe delivering a large kid is unmistakable.  I didn't even need to look.
The first doeling was born before I got out to the barn, with the second soon after.  
Such beautiful babies!  These parents (and Vikki's planning!) produced some stunningly beautiful doelings.  
(One thing for me to remember when I match the handsome Turbinado with any of the does this fall.  His babies as newborns are the same size as Moose Track's babies at 2 weeks old.  He sires large kids, which means I will not breed him to anything except a doe that has kidded before, and who is not petite...)

I was privileged to watch life enter the world, again.  It never seems to get old, even if it is livestock on the farm.  
And for that, all thanks goes to God!  :)
Laura


No comments:

Post a Comment