The sheep are due this week. That's Iris on the left in the first photo, and April on the right. Yes, they're filthy. It's the end of winter and they need to be shorn soon.
That's Iris in the second and third photos. She's potentially carrying twins. Look how uncomfortable she is once she lies down, poor girl....
Iris was either having contractions last night or feeling VERY uncomfortable as the baby or babies shifted around to get ready for birth. Other um....female-type parts.....were looking quite ready to deliver, so I'm on the sleepless schedule, checking every 3 hours last night and trying to sleep in between.
Iris....will be traded back to her original owner sometime after the lambs are born. I like her, and she has warmed up to me quite a bit, but.... April is my favorite, and April's 2014 daughter "May" is my second favorite. We just don't have the space to keep a growing flock of sheep. So, Iris will rejoin her original flock, with the shepherdess whose voice Iris remembers (she perks up her ears and looks over expectantly when Michele is here).
In exchange, we will get a very nice male. Our big boy Brock has proven to have an aggressive side, to the point that I take a full stainless steel bucket of ice water into the pen when I have to feed them....and douse him with it if he makes a move towards me. I need a ram who will be calm and gentle.
For this week, the main thing is to see these lambs safely into the barn, despite the cold temps, despite the fact that I still don't really know what I'm doing....
But the sheep ladies do, and Iris is a seasoned pro at mothering.
Photos when the cuties arrive! Visiting day to be announced shortly! :)
Laura
No comments:
Post a Comment