Oh, the insult!
The butcher had originally listed Buddy as "Pot belly pig"!!!!
I'm chuckling about it now, but I bet my voice had just a tinge of incredulity as I corrected the woman who took the meat-cutting order.
He was a heritage-breed hog. An American classic. A snake-eating, grazing breed of pig from the south during Civil War times.
"These pigs were popular with subsistence farmers, not only through their ability to forage for themselves, but also because their habit of eating snakes made the farmyard safe for children and livestock." -Wikipedia
"Guinea Hogs were expected to forage for their own food, eat rodents and other small animals, grass, roots, and nuts, and clean out garden beds. The hogs were also kept in the yard where they would eat snakes and thus create a safe zone around the house. These Guineas were hardy and efficient, gaining well on the roughest of forage and producing the hams, bacon, and lard essential for subsistence farming." --The Livestock Conservancy
Pot belly pig! What were they THINKING?!!! :)
Laura
http://dykstrasfarm.blogspot.com/
http://dykstrasfarm.blogspot.com/
No comments:
Post a Comment