Monday, May 26, 2014

The first Dykstra lamb

Iris had a difficult day today (Monday), we spent hours watching and waiting while also building a chicken coop and getting the house and food ready for a traditional Memorial Day picnic-style dinner, and in the end, a beautiful ram lamb was born and is doing well.  
The yellow substance coating his wool is normal for a newborn.  He is a creamy-white lamb with light cinnamon coloring on his legs and muzzle.  Just adorable.  Mama Iris did well, and the delivery was probably typical, but rather difficult to watch.  The little guy came out with one front leg bent back, so maybe the discomfort I witnessed my poor ewe going through was because of that.....  
We thought of naming him "Patriot", in honor of Memorial Day, but we'll see what his future holds....
Our other ewe, April, has gone through bouts of contractions all day today, but was happily munching grain when I closed up the barn.  Here's hoping that I can get a night's sleep before she goes into labor!  
More photos tomorrow.
 
Laura


No comments:

Post a Comment