Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Goodbye pigs, on with life!

Well, the reality is actually not as difficult to cope with as the IMAGINARY reality was, before the pigs were loaded up and taken away.  Anticipation of a loss can be much worse than the actual loss turns out to be.  And it may not even turn out to be a loss, after all of that emotional turmoil.

They sure did squeal, and balk, and try to escape under the trailer.....and then they trotted right in and munched their apples as the door was closed behind them.  By taking them today, instead of yesterday, we spared them a night with countless other displaced and confused pigs.  One more good deed for the pigs that we cared for all summer.

I cried a bit yesterday after typing my "fond farewell" message.  I think I caused some of you to cry a bit, too.  I needed to get my emotions out, and I probably typed out some stuff about the pigs that were heart-wrenching to others in the reading-audience, too.  Thanks for crying along with me.
And now, just hours after they left, the pen is NOT empty, like I expected.  The chickens have been pecking in the left-over straw and litter since the morning, when we left the gate open.  The sheep have moved in and are lounging in the vacated pig-shelter that Michael built.  It's the perfect size for them.  It's shaded and cool.  They can stand and turn around, it's cozy, and would be warm if it were a cold day.  Life goes on.

This morning, I knew I would be fine when the pigs were being trucked away and I turned to look at the empty pen.  It wasn't actually empty, even then.  There, in the corner of the dirt, under the corner of the shelter, was evidence that a rat had moved in and taken up residence.  No wonder the dogs couldn't leave the pig-pen alone for the past 3 mornings or so.  I thought they were after the pigs, but they had done their rat-duty yet again and pinpointed where one was snugly hidden away in safety.
Tomorrow, before sheep and birds are let out of the barn, the dogs will finally get to dig out the rat that thought he could get fat on leftover bits of pig feed.  And then the chickens will peck and scratch in the leftover litter again.  And the sheep will enjoy the shelter where their friends so recently slept.  
And life will go on, as we bring home the neatly wrapped packages of pork which will become our family's winter dining extravaganza......and so many of you reading this will enjoy that same delicacy.  

LIFE goes on, thanks to our gracious God.  :)
 
Laura
http://dykstrasfarm.blogspot.com/

1 comment:

  1. this little piggie went to market and came home as yummy pork chops and spare ribs and bacon! :-) Meanwhile in Atlanta they are chasing wild pigs around a suburban neighborhood. http://www.wsbtv.com/news/news/local/neighborhoods-wild-pigs-lead-wranglers-wild-chase/nZ8M9/

    ReplyDelete