Photo: Lucy, all grown up and posing for the photo Until now, the cows have been relatively quiet. Once in a while Lucy the heifer would startle us with a sudden "moo", but nothing more than that. When I would milk Bessie, Lucy would get a small amount of the better quality hay off in the other corner. No problems, until Bess figured out that when HER good hay was gone, she could back out of the stanchion and move into Lucy's pile. NOW, with mama Bessie suddenly giving voice to lots of different moos since baby Ruby was born--soft urgent moos, sharper warning ones, exact duplicate foghorn-style moos, "where are you" questioning ones--Lucy seems to have found her voice as well. Lucy is also about full-size now, and trying out her place as the dominant wanna-be. What we have on our hands is a full-grown cow with a calf (Bessie) and also a year-old heifer (Lucy) who is trying to throw her weight around for the first time.
Lucy's behavior has been bothering me, but I'm learning to work through it and anticipate what she'll try next. Her moos are on the temper tantrum scale, though. The first time, I couldn't stop laughing--not really all that concerned about Lucy's delicate emotions at all, I'm afraid to say. :) A little background from the past few weeks: I have to be quick and sneaky when I call Bess in to be milked now. Lucy has decided that Bessie's grain and alfalfa is equal to tea and crumpets in a posh Victorian castle's sitting room--intended only for the privileged few, and she desperately wants to be one of the privileged few! She tries every time to outwit me and barge past Bess into the stanchion. Bessie will be quietly but determinedly walking to the milking room, and here comes Lucy, full speed. I put up my palm and smack Lucy flat on the middle of the forehead, and she falls back just enough to let me close the door behind Bessie. Visual description: Bess is not even trotting to come into the barn. There's no attempt at competition from Bess at this point. "Ambling" is a perfect word for it: Udder swinging, head stretched forward, patiently intent on getting to the stanchion. She knows what is waiting for her, her udder is telling her that it's time for some relief, and the stanchion is the place to be. Lucy, on the other hand, is rather frantic---looking up in surprise from her grass hay in the feeder or from the fresh grass in the yard, and erratically kicking, running hurriedly and even haphazardly to try to get in front of Bessie. Bess, of course, is single-minded when it comes to getting her grain and alfalfa to munch on, and doesn't even pay attention to Lucy's bold and stubborn jostling. Lucy pushes, shoves, and gets smacked in the forehead as the door is closed in her face. The princess is thwarted and the queen gets the delicious treats. That does not make for a happy princess! Back to the first time it happened: I had closed Lucy outside of the electric fence around the cow-pen because of how persistent she had been to get in the way and cause a problem. Bessie was in place for milking and calmly munching, head down in the bucket and tail swishing contentedly. Suddenly, the most ear-splitting screechy "MOO" burst through the wall of the barn and into the milking area. It started in rather a normal way, and then became high-pitched and rather crazed with no warning. I shook my head in amazement and went on with the 30-minute milking routine. The ENTIRE TIME I was milking, Lucy was making all kinds of horrific versions of "moo", from low and angry to high and desperate and demanding and other-worldly as she circled the electric fence and voiced her displeasure.
Queen Bess was happily munching on her imaginary tea and crumpets (bucket of grain and a section of alfalfa from a bale), while poor Princess Lucy was shut outside in the cold (98 degrees), with only a crust of stale bread (fresh grass and lovely green clover) to munch. It was a full-blown temper tantrum! I could NOT stop laughing as I imagined Lucy stamping her delicate front hoof as she demanded to be let in at any cost. ;)
Funny thing was, though, by the time I finished cleaning everything up and opened the door again, Lucy and baby Ruby were happily munching, side by side, on the opposite side of the pasture. It seems that Lucy's tantrum had the effect of luring Ruby out of the electric fence (she stumbles through sometimes, getting shocked as she tries to squeeze out instead of passing me by the gate. She'll learn....)
I brought the milk back into the house, and asked Michael and Jeremy if they'd heard Lucy. (It should be noted that they had been playing video games, which usually means that they are oblivious to anything else around them). Michael said "Is THAT what it was? It sounded like a monster or something in the back yard." We all had a good laugh at Lucy's expense. I have learned a little trick, though. Lucy still doesn't like to be shut outside, and still lets out a crazy-cow moo or two, but now she knows that when I open the door again, I'll have a couple of hay-cubes to hand-feed her. She is much happier just getting that tiny treat than when her imagination runs wild picturing all the finery that Bessie is enjoying just on the other side of the closed door.
|
|
|
|
No comments:
Post a Comment