|
Imagine....a big, sedate black and white cow with a swinging udder, just kicking up her heels and frolicking. ;) And then little Lucy, half the size of Bessie, side by side with Bessie as they both trot, gallop, shake their heads and basically kick up their heels........
Today started out like what is becoming a "normal" farm day for me. Jeff and Jeremy got out of the house and on their way to Palatine by 6:25 or so. Jeff brought water to the cows before he left, then, before Michael and I left to get him to Faith in Crystal Lake, Michael brought MORE water to the cows (they drink an unbelievable amount!).
I came home, took the dogs out to run, got the milking stuff ready, and that all went without a hitch. Scooped poop to get it out of the way when Bessie and Lucy lie down in their straw. Brought the dogs back in and made sure the chickens had what they need for the day. Let the chickens out of the barn because the temperature was above freezing.....
The only thing different was.....I left the gate to the cow pen open on purpose. The cow pen is on the back side of the barn, by the silo, and is inside the larger fenced acre. Enough snow had melted that some old grass was showing, but I kind of expected Bess and Lucy to just stay in and chew their cuds like they usually do after milking time.
Filtered the milk and got it into the frig, and then the fun started. The dogs started whining uncontrollably at the back door. I peeked out, and could see Bessie's head just visible behind the corner of the barn. So she had at least come out of the pen (first time I've left the gate open since they had the run of the fenced acre--unintended!!--after being delivered 2 weeks ago).
What happened next was totally unexpected. Bessie actually kicked up her heels and started frolicking around. Next came Lucy, who passed Bessie up and was bucking and kicking her back legs right and left with glee. The dogs were going completely berserk in the house, and I couldn't help laughing out loud.
I had to watch a bit to make sure they weren't trying to stampede or something.....! But no, they were actually playing, just enjoying the added freedom to roam and scratch their heads against trees and stretch their legs.
Funny, I never would have expected both cows to be grazing side by side, but that's where they are right now--under the stand of white pine trees, grazing on who-knows-what because no grass grows under there, and just looking content. The dogs have settled down inside, but Shadow is still standing guard at the door and whining now and then. Rocky left a big wet smudge on the window before sacking out on the floor, as he forlornly licked the glass, wishing he was out there with Bess and Lou. And the cows look just beautiful out in our back yard!
It's a good way to start the day, for sure!
Laura.
|
No comments:
Post a Comment